What I do know is that I renewed my prescription for Vitamin M (Motrin) and will start building distance again, slowly and surely. I might be running, I might be walking but nonetheless! I'll be there.
Thinking about running has me thinking about preparing for the race. Anytime you run you need to be properly geared up, and while I've shared my list of running must-haves before, that list has changed significantly. Maybe because I've spent more time outside running, but I've streamlined my approach. Some things will always be with me on a run, though.
Running gear must-haves:
- Good running shoes. "Good" for me is defined as shoes that don't hurt my feet. Right now, I'm running (or walking) with a pretty pair of Saucony Cohesion 7s that I cannot wait to get dirty.
- Yurbuds earbuds. I've been through a lot of headphones over the years, and I'm on my second pair of Yurbuds Inspire. I love how they fit in my ear and won't get blown out by the wind (hugely important in Oklahoma) or whatever else would cause them to fall out. I also love that they're not noise-cancelling because I like to hear ambient sounds when I'm running outside. Situational awareness!
- My smart phone. I use the RunKeeper free app to track my distance and aside from that one time where it clearly had some satellite issues and told me I ran about 10x farther than I did, it's served me quite well. I also downloaded the 10K Runner app right before I hurt my knee but plan to use this in part one of my half-marathon training. I also have a running playlist on my phone—more on that in a minute.
- My Spibelt. It may look like the bastard child of a thong and a fannypack, but this little stretchy belt pocket is fantastic for holding phone and keys (and would hold plenty more) securely and unobtrusively. I just saw on their website that they offer an armband and that's totally going on my wish list.
However, for this color run, certain songs do come to mind:
- I Want To Sex You Up (Color Me Badd)
- She's a Rainbow (The Rolling Stones)
- Yellow (Coldplay)
- Easily (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- Baby Blue (Badfinger)
- Black Betty (Ram Jam)
- Orange Crush (REM)
- White Lines (Melle Mel & Grandmaster Flash)
- I Would Die 4 U (Prince--the Purple One!)
- Army of Zombies (Lars Fredericksen & the Bastards—the run is in a haunted forest, after all)
Register for the Run or Dye 5K today! I'll be there. The run will be held Saturday, July 26 in the Dead Woods Haunted Forest, and during the run, participants will be showered in safe, eco-friendly, plant-based powdered dye at every kilometer.
Join up with the online community before the race (follow @RunorDye on Twitter, join the Run or Dye OKC Facebook event, "like" the Facebook page, follow them on Instagram, Pinterest & Tumblr, watch the videos on YouTube, add them to your Google+ circles) and sign up with the code BLOGOKC for $5 off your registration until July 18.
Disclaimer: I was asked to participate in the promotion of the Run or Dye OKC 5K in exchange for race admission. At no time was I told what to write. Other product endorsements are my own honest opinions of products I use in my daily life and were neither requested nor compensated. All opinions discussed in this post are my own because my opinions are not for sale.