"Really? Because you're only 8. Are you really ready to count down the things you want to do before you die?"
Bucket lists became a thing a few years ago when the movie came out—I'm not sure I'd ever heard the term before them. We had this conversation a few years ago, and though she's 11 now, her list remains the same, with a few additions (and I quote):
- Visit Germany,
- Become a famous author,
- Visit the only remaining wonder of the world (pyramids of Giza),
- Bungee jump into a waterfall,
- Walk along the Great Wall of China,
- Go to a fancy college like Harvard, and
- Own a bakery.
You know, just a few things.
My own bucket list is much shorter.
- Go to where the platypi live.
- Go to where the narwhals live.
The platypus is native to Australia, and when I researched to find a zoo with a platypus exhibit, I learned that they don't let them out. They don't loan them like China loans their Giant Pandas, they keep the platypi in the area.
I'm sorry, but they are just so cute.
And then there are narwhals. Seriously—sea unicorns that live on this planet in the Arctic!
I think these are worthy pursuits.