Along with writing on my own blog, I show off my storytelling skills through writing for many local and regional magazines. Links to recent writing projects may be found at marifarthing2.contently.com. I have worked on projects for the Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department, the Moore Norman Technology Center and others.
As an editor, I have worked with over 30 clients on works that have been published and not yet published. From short stories to full-length novels, I have edited projects in virtually every genre, including YA, thriller, women's fiction and fantasy. I've worked on a freelance basis and as the staff/contract editor for a local publishing house.
A sample of the published projects I've edited:
Recommendations from clients:
- I can’t say enough good things about Mari’s wonderful
editing job on my novel, Chicago Fell First. Not only did Mari catch
every typo or grammatical error that managed to slip through during the
writing process, she also, perhaps even more importantly, made a great
effort to understand the nuances of the story and the personalities of
the characters. Her valuable suggestions helped make the book the best
it could be. I recommend Mari’s services to any author who wants an
editor who cares about the story as much as about the words.
- Aaron Smith, Author
- I've known Mari since 2009. During that time, we've worked together on collaborative efforts including the humor blog, Chick Wit and book review site, Book End Babes. In 2012, she edited my novelette, Next Left. As a first-time writer, I was skittish and insecure. Mari helped coax and encourage me throughout the process. Her editing was careful, thoughtful, honest, and always personalized. Since then, I've relied on her feedback for a multitude of personal essays, blog posts, and short stories. I trust her advice implicitly and she continues to be my go-to-gal for grammar and content questions.
- Dani Stone, Author
- She's the Mary Poppins of editors. Mari is prompt,
straightforward and makes tidying up feel like magic. And when changes
are difficult, her advice always comes with a spoonful of sugar. Mari is
the first editor I consider when my story needs to blossom.
- Jammie Kern, Author
- I can't imagine going through the editing process without Mari in my corner. She has been instrumental in helping me fine-tune my writing, think outside the box on ideas that I was struggling with and leading me in a direction that I may not have been able to think of without her guidance. I highly recommend Mari as an editor for both small and large projects.
- Stephanie Clinton, Writer & Blogger
- Mari Farthing has edited many items I have written including a ninety thousand word manuscript. The editing was all done in a timely and professional manner. Along with her polite and professional demeanor I found it helped motivate me to better writing.
- Tony LoPresti, President OWFI 2016, Author
- I knew of Mrs. Farthing from the OWFI (Oklahoma Writers Federation Inc) Conference. I finished my book and needed an editor. I decided on using Mrs. Farthing and have not regretted that decision. She edited my book on several levels. Grammar, sentence structure, character development, and story line consistency, just to name a few. She knows her craft well, and was able to not only make the needed corrections, she also made suggestions for the development of my story, yet kept my voice and writing style in mind. I am so lucky I chose her. Unfortunately for her, she is stuck with me and all my future books.
- Victoria Gray, Writer
- I'm beyond grateful for Mari's keen eye as an editor and for being a true
team player. She is kind and smart and forward-thinking. She also helps
herd the big ideas and turn them into realistic, achievable goals.
- Malena Lott, Author / Brand Strategist / Marketing Consultant